• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Walk in the Sunshine
Platinum Boarder

Song line that brought loudest applause ever

#51573 2 years, 11 months ago
at any particular show :

East Coast Division

3/20/86 Hampton Virginia: Look out of any window, any morning, any evening, any day (the breakout after 14 years)... it was the loudest I ever heard a crowd...at any concert, sporting event... ever until 3/19/95 Philly Spectrum..

I thought I'd try to fill you in on how the UC went down. NOT trying to rub it in or anything. I don't usualy review shows because I find it's subjective. But for those who missed it:

One mans description/ then mine

Don't Ease was also a surprise -- 5th song into the set at about 0:35 into it. I thought, "Man!! Short set. I'll be pissed if they walk off the stage after this."

The band stayed on the stage with the lights down after the Don't Ease, and then we knew that SOMETHING was going to happen. All of the band members were looking at each other somewhat anxiously.

Then the opening chords started wafting through quietly, a nervousness and heightened sense of urgency started rushing through the crowd. Isolated shouts of "Unbroken Chain!" could be heard, and then everyone looked at each other as if, "Can it be?" The cheers became louder, swelling as more and more heads realized what was happening, and by the time the first verse rolled around, the place was going absolutely nuts -- bolts of energy flying through the Spectrum.

Band pulls out of the intro, and all four (non-drummers) step up to the mikes, "Blue light rain" Phil with the spotlight, "whoa unbroken chain . . . ." Devastating -- people just screaming their heads off for about 6 seconds, until, almost simultaneously, everyone decided to quiet down and listen.

The jamming part of the song was the highlight, with Jerry all over the fretboard.

Put it this way. It certainly could have been played better, and it will get better with some playing. But you always remember your first.

Of course, the band left the stage to an extended standing ovation. When the house lights went up, everyone sorta looked at each other and then, in a moment of mutual recognition, the whole placed erupted again, lotsa cheering, hugging.

When the band came out for the second set, Phil did a sweeping bow, and of course, the place erupted once again.

Well, that kinda captures it, I think.

Well written. I was fortunate enough to be 5th row in front of Phil. They were all lookin at each like ok are we really doin this. Then..the opening notes and an explosion of energy from the crowd.... and it just kept building and building as people realized what it was ---The best description I can give is imagine your favorite football team played a "home game super bowl" and you won on the last play on a hail mary pass as the clock expired, it was that loud. I remember turning around and just seeing sheer jubilation in the air and on everyones face. It was a few minutes of utter chaos/joy like ONLY a Philly crowd can produce. Insanity.
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

Re: Song line that brought loudest applause ever

#51650 2 years, 11 months ago
I was at that show.....almost.....The day before was my last ever...story of my life. But they did play Last Time and a great Vision of Johanna... which has special meaning for me.. no complaints.

Hearing is believing

www.archive.org/details/gd95-03-19.schoeps.15097.sbeok.shnf

This version doesn't have quite the punch, but it does have about 40 more seconds of the crowd after the song. And a couple of minutes of appreciative applause at start of second set.

www.archive.org/details/gd1995-03-19.nak300.bleich.92062.flac16

A high up in Comcast/Spectacor administration is a deadhead, he has a recording of the Unbroken Chain soundcheck. I heard it played on WIP a sports station of all places, when they were doing a show to commemorate the end of Spectrum about the time the Dead played there in 2009

Sound check please:

www.archive.org/details/gd1995-03-17.sndchk.fm.toland.1366.shnf

It was also pretty loud at Hampton March 1987 for Jerry's first post-coma show.
Last Edit: 2 years, 11 months ago by Terrapin Sedation.
iraqistatefair
Platinum Boarder
The wheels are muddy, got a ton of hay

#51655 2 years, 11 months ago
I heard a show once on tape and China Doll was played and my speakers nearly blew up. I think holding out on st stephens and box of rain for so long was just mean. And darkstar ? , that was really - just uncalled for.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#51718 2 years, 11 months ago
The cheering / tears were insane Jerry's first show back after his diabetic coma. Touch of Grey opened the show 12-15-86. Papa Jerry had to re--learn to play guitar, etc. Merl Saunders helped him relearn everything - quite an amazingly quick recovery.

Here's an audience copy of the show. The crowd went amazingly wild. Still gives me goosebumps to listen to this (the first song) www.archive.org/details/gd86-12-15.nakcm...nk.25263.sbeok.flacf

(Wish I could find a video for this amazing version, show)
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
Walk in the Sunshine
Platinum Boarder

#51804 2 years, 11 months ago
[quote="scar1et_f1re" post=51718]The cheering / tears were insane Jerry's first show back after his diabetic coma. Touch of Grey opened the show 12-15-86. Papa Jerry had to re--learn to play guitar, etc. Merl Saunders helped him relearn everything - quite an amazingly quick recovery.

Here's an audience copy of the show. The crowd went amazingly wild. Still gives me goosebumps to listen to this (the first song) www.archive.org/details/gd86-12-15.nakcm...nk.25263.sbeok.flacf

Thats why I made an east coast division cause this was my 1st thought for the west coast - was waitin for someone to post this..well done.............. I'm surprised no one has brought up the 83 St Stephen MSG breakout. I'd put that 3rd on the east coast. & I think ahem it got pretty loud (for the West Coast divisoon at the 7-13-84 Dark Star too.
Last Edit: 2 years, 11 months ago by Walk in the Sunshine.
prasada
Junior Boarder

#51805 2 years, 11 months ago
I love when I can feel it through the speakers...amazing that the feeling can travel through time & space and give me goosebumps with just a sweet, sweet sound. thanks for sharing...
Walk in the Sunshine
Platinum Boarder

#51818 2 years, 11 months ago
ck out the following recording 3-20-86 -got to Box of rain...........for instant goosebumps...

www.archive.org/details/gd1986-03-20.nak300.damico.87611.flac16

This is all a dream we dreamed, one afternoon, long ago
The following user(s) said Thank You: jbeach12078, scar1et_f1re, SunshineSue, prasada
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#51821 2 years, 11 months ago
Walk in the Sunshine wrote:
ck out the following recording 3-20-86 -got to Box of rain...........for instant goosebumps...

Yep, instant goosebumps, a big smile and a little lump in the throat. : ) You can have your soundboards, there's nothing like a good audience tape for a special moment like that one!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: scar1et_f1re
edheadwharfrat
Expert Boarder

#51822 2 years, 11 months ago
scar1et_f1re wrote:
The cheering / tears were insane Jerry's first show back after his diabetic coma. Touch of Grey opened the show 12-15-86. Papa Jerry had to re--learn to play guitar, etc. Merl Saunders helped him relearn everything - quite an amazingly quick recovery.

(Wish I could find a video for this amazing version, show)

I was there. Jerry walked out on stage and threw a fist up in the air. The tape tells the tale of how we reacted to Jerry's triumphant return!! Maybe my favorite GD memory.
Without love day to day insanity's king
jbeach12078
Junior Boarder

#51830 2 years, 11 months ago
SunshineSue wrote:
Walk in the Sunshine wrote:

Yep, instant goosebumps, a big smile and a little lump in the throat. : ) You can have your soundboards, there's nothing like a good audience tape for a special moment like that one!!

that was intense....
The following user(s) said Thank You: prasada
Time to create page: 8.96 seconds