• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

Special Songs (versions of GD / Furthur songs)

#46387 3 years ago
Yesterday on the GD channel I heard a kind version of Comes a time where the Lyrics were mixed up a bit. It reminded me of the collection of special versions of dead songs I have been collecting and actively seeking for more. Here are links to a few of my favorites. I'd love help finding some more "special" versions.

Looks Like Rain 10-10-82 (does Bobby lose it for a sec?) - he seems to feel this version: www.archive.org/details/gd1982-10-10.mtx.seamons.110744.flac24 (interesting comment ~ 3:18; 3:31 - 3:36 does he lose it for a sec?; great rap ~ 4:30 to the end.....best version ever ???

Comes a time 10-21-71 - (about 4:40 in it gets special to me) www.archive.org/details/gd1971-10-21.sbd.miller.112086.flac16

Brent's Rap in Blow Away (he's having a difficult time with his marriage) : 4-29-89 www.archive.org/details/gd1989-04-29.sbd...r.88124.sbeok.flac16

And of course there is last year's Nokia show where Bobby may have been dosed or perhaps a bad reaction to prescriptions meds. This was actually a painful show to watch. Really felt bad for him here. here's an excerpt from glide magazine.com

"The night got off to an interesting beginning when bassist Phil Lesh walked over near Bobby near the beginning of the show, wrapping his arm around him, and faced the crowd (with a straight face) saying “I told Bobby; never drink out of something you haven’t poured yourself.” Now, this wouldn’t be out of the ordinary for the friend of someone for 45 years to joke about, but the humor was not revealed anywhere from Bob Weirs blank face. Given the pre-show talk, the crowd appeared to take it as confirming the rumor of Bob Weir having his drink dosed on Wednesday. ".

I have heard that others at the show claim that Phil never really said anything about drinking open beverages.....

More to come.

~WALSTIB
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
The following user(s) said Thank You: DeadHead420
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

Re: Special Songs (versions of GD / Furthur songs)

#46454 3 years ago
not cool to dose people without them knowing or wanting it
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#46461 3 years ago
definitely painful to watch especially in el paso when he just drops his arms. I believe the official word was an issue with prescriptions.

From what I've heard in interviews, in the day it was quite unsafe to drink (backstage) from someone elses cup. But I heard later on there were so many kids, etc backstage that stuff stopped.

IF it was a dosing, per every account that I've heard it was accidental. Glad he was ok (he proves that over and over with his playing).

scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#46630 3 years ago
Another magical moment (I caught this one live). I believe this is the version that made it to the CD "without a net". Branford with the GD at the Nassau Col in spring of 1990.

wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#46633 3 years ago
pigpen would often "rap" quite a bit during songs like lovelight and caution...sometimes they'd be similar...but some are very unique. worth sifting through to find the classics...."gimme a little bit a that cherry pie, in yooo oven" "i don't care if she's only seventeeeeeen" etc hahaha
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#46640 3 years ago
Love those old pigpen raps - especially lovelight (take your hands out of your pockets guys.....).....sometimes he even picked a guy or gal out of the audience to rap to. He was a great showsman.

Here's Rainy Day Women with the dead. I didn't see this particular version live , but I caught a few shows with Dylan and the dead in the summer of '87 and to me this song was "it". These were the days of the big 40,000 or so people shows at Giants Stadium, RFK, etc. Imagine if you might 40,000 fuckers screaming / singing "Everybody MUST GET STONED". Cool stuff.

maredwar
Junior Boarder

#46641 3 years ago
The PLQ played an instrumental version of Rainy Day Women > I Know You Rider on 4/20/2001. The crowd sang the "Everybody must get stoned" part. It was closer to 4000 people than 40,000 but it was still a magical evening all around. One of my favorite shows ever. Warren Haynes mentioned it in a Hittin' the Note interview as one of his favorite memories.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#46669 3 years ago
Jerry's first show back after his coma in 1986. Not an amazing show musically, but an emotional show. Pretty incredible if you consider Jerry had to re-learn to play again. I heard there wasn't a dry eye in the house. Good choice for an opener too, Touch of Grey.

www.archive.org/details/gd1986-12-15.sbd...r.99035.sbeok.flac16

scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#46691 3 years ago
Adding a cool youtube video of fire on the mountain (the background video is very cool imo)

HD Version (a bit slower loading and a bit longer):

Non-HD Version:

---

More good memories from another great year and show....Jerry en espanol during '87 ....yo no soy marinero (sp?) ... Video is ok, Bobby is really on, so is Jerry. Amazing how young they look (to me anyway) and funny to see Phil who now that he's so thin seems to be "fat" here. You gals who enjoy watching Bobbies legs will enjoy this too (or so I am told).

mirabelasunshine
Junior Boarder

#46782 3 years ago
pigpen would often "rap" quite a bit during songs like lovelight and caution

"Chris and Marcia have just made it!"

->

"Don't blame me, I'm just making suggestions ... I suggest you play your guitar!"

Classic stuff ...
Time to create page: 8.62 seconds