• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

Re: Weather Report Suite

#231054 1 year, 9 months ago
Denver Man wrote:
Don't get me wrong, WRS is one of the greatest songs in the GD arsenal but is it just me or is LIG one of those songs that is way too over-played?
It's not just you. BUT, I'll take it 8 days a week over classic rock covers of any artist. It doesn't hurt that it is one of their more consistent epic tracks. Maybe if they took more chances with it I'd be better with its oftenness. More jazz fusion or something. It's beautifully played, but it isn't opened up and allowed to roar enough. It's kind of the problem with the band as a whole, though. At least that's how I've been feeling for a while now.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#231056 1 year, 9 months ago
Mark your right! I swear they play lit every time I go to a show. Great song, but I to wish they would play it less often and do the entire suite.
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
dead_in_ky
Junior Boarder

#231060 1 year, 9 months ago
It's one of my favorite things they do. Although they definitely play the shit out of LIG. That Red Rocks version was pure magic.
Right now, I can't read too well...
OZA
Senior Boarder

#231063 1 year, 9 months ago
Ah thank you all. Yeah, I noticed it with PL&F 11/13/12 at Roseland, then the NYE run, and then the Sweetwater run, where they played LIG without the full Suite. I'm glad they do play it though. Hopefully I'll see it live soon
Last Edit: 1 year, 9 months ago by OZA.
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#231098 1 year, 9 months ago
MushroomMan wrote:
I wish the GD never stopped playing it, Any WRS from 73-74 (only time played by the GD) just about puts me in a trance.
It would be cool if Russo and JK would visit some recordings from summer of '74. I wouldn't want them to replicate 74-06-18, but if a little inspiration came from an audio gander, aces. A little jazziness. A little aggressiveness. Keith was playing some great piano there, too. You can really appreciate the piano as a percussive instrument with those improvisations.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
The following user(s) said Thank You: B-Rad
nycdave
Platinum Boarder

#231114 1 year, 9 months ago
Let it Grow is a really good vehicle for John K to play. It has become one of the major jam songs for Furthur. I would agree that it is overplayed, however... IMHO in the cannon of songs, this is one of the really great ones. If the band is going to overplay any song, I can live with this being one of them. Judging just by setlists, if I see Let it Grow on a list, I would want to be there. Over the years, the jam on this song has changed, expanded and even grown. I know that I am gushing here. I just luv this song. Too much of a good thing is never enough!
The following user(s) said Thank You: SunshineSue, OZA
huemoon
Junior Boarder

#231223 1 year, 9 months ago
Furthur fans, stone me not, but... I left during Let It Grow NYE to hit up my next event on the evening agenda (which I'm almost ashamed to admit -- I have never ever left a show before, but... friends were waiting and I compromised ) Anyway, as soon as Let It Grow started I knew it was time to go -- just about any other song and I would have had a really hard time leaving.

Anyway, the Weather Report Suite at Red Rocks was phenomenal this past year and a proud "called it" moment for me, with it being the fall equinox and all (tried calling it the previous fall at the Cuthbert, but no luck).
MajorBojangles
Junior Boarder

#248129 1 year, 7 months ago
Funny story about the first WRS @ MSG...

For a long time, I have used various Weather Report Suites as an alarm clock. (I highly suggest it. Not only a dose of Dead, but a pleasant way to wake up) Lay in bed during Prelude/Part I, and get up at LIG. Anyhow, during setbreak I was chatting with an older couple who had flown out from Colorado to see the closing of the tour. We got to talking about the second set and he asked what I would like to hear. I told him my anecdote of WRS, followed by I believed they hadn't played it as Furthur. But you can always dream. When the first notes played out of The Wheel into Prelude the man tapped me on the shoulder. He handed me something he rolled and brought from Colorado, then said, "Never stop dreaming. You never know which ones will come true." Moments like those are the reasons I will keep coming back until I can't.
If you get confused, listen to the music play
The following user(s) said Thank You: B-Rad
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder

#248137 1 year, 7 months ago
Denver Man wrote:
Don't get me wrong, WRS is one of the greatest songs in the GD arsenal but is it just me or is LIG one of those songs that is way too over-played?

No it's not just you, it's over played. More complete Dark Stars is what's needed, at 20 mins., minimum.
direwolflove222
Senior Boarder
Its an obsession but its pleasing

#248172 1 year, 7 months ago
MushroomMan wrote:

that was weird at the Beacon with the WRS>Saint ... they just did Let It Grow the show before and as someone behind us calls Weather Report to open the 2nd set, me and the guy next to me were pretty much laughing saying "yea they just did LIG the last show" .... we were all pretty surprised

That was really weird, but cool... As much as I love the full suite, I was so suprised and thrilled when they did that WRS>Saint. It was soooo smooth. I remember thinking I LOVE THIS BAND!!! They keep it so fresh
eight-sided whispering hallelujah hat rack
Last Edit: 1 year, 7 months ago by direwolflove222.
Gratefullyjohn
Junior Boarder
Let it ride, let it roll... LET IT ROLL

#248209 1 year, 7 months ago
When furthur played it at mcu on 7/13 it was amazing, then on 11/13 I heard Phil and his friends play it and I was even more blown away it made me love the song ten times more. This is one I wouldnt mind the overplaying.
Broken heart don't feel so bad, you ain't got half of what you thought you had
direwolflove222
Senior Boarder
Its an obsession but its pleasing

#248282 1 year, 7 months ago
Gratefullyjohn wrote:
This is one I wouldnt mind the overplaying.

Couldnt agree more!
eight-sided whispering hallelujah hat rack
Time to create page: 0.38 seconds